Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Siege

So I was not really sure what I wanted to make this blog. I did not know whether I wanted to focus on the industry I am in which is PR or if I wanted to broaden the topic to basically whatever was on my mind. I think in the end I have decided to make it a little of both.

Last night I was flipping through the channels on the TV between the Red Sox - Yankees game and the Mets - Phillies game as well as being a good American and even watching a little of the convention speech (Mainly Biden). I came across something on the Sleuth channel, which by the way is one of my favorites and if you get it you chould check it out. On the Sleuth channel was the movie the Siege.

PLOT of MOVIE

For those of you who have never watched the Siege, a quick synopsis. The basic plot of the movie is the FBI, CIA are working together to catch a group of middle eastern terrorist who are targeting a certain US city for a bombing. The plot thickens when the CIA's "go between" Sharif might actually be involved in the planning of the bomb and the Sheik who they think is behind it was actually funded by the CIA when they were in the Middle East.

The terrorist then strike at One Federal Plaza and the building is blown to bits killing 600 people. The next scene take place at what is left of the building which to me looked eerily similar to another pile of smoldering ruins.

This is not the first attack and so instead of letting the FBI and CIA continue the government decides to impose Martial Law on the city of wait for it ... New York. The Muslim population becomes the target of hate crimes and they are then rounded up in internment camps after the military goes house to house and arrests any muslim between the age of 19-45.

REMIND YOU OF SOMETHING

The point of me blogging about this is that it struck me as odd especially when I looked at the date and the movie was actually made back in 1998. a full 3 years before the attacks. The similarities were so similar however, that it was almost creepy.

This scenario makes you wonder if we had another attack if that is something that the government would do. If there is a chance that we could go under martial law. Now I know this movie was Hollywood but in this day in age it kind of makes you wonder.

All of the events in this movie happened because of one little decision by the CIA to fund a Sheik. The Sheik then used the money to train terrorist and eventually the ripple that they created came crashing onto our shores in the shape of the bomb.

If anyone has seen it and has similar comments or disagrees with me please feel free to express your opinion.

No comments: