Thursday, April 15, 2010

Getting Back up After Being Knocked Down




So Most of the time this blog will deal with topics that involve social media, but for now I wanted to stray away from that based on my day. The day started out fine. I continued working on implementing our strategies in social media for our clients and researching new tools that we could use in future campaigns. I mixed that in with a little blog reading, some responding to e-mail and of course stuffing something in my face in the small amount of time that I have. It was around the time that I finished eating that the bomb hit. The bomb was basically a scathing e-mail from a colleague accusing me of acting like I didn't care. Ouch!! That hurt. Sure I have my off days but I never want to be known as someone who doesn't put forth effort and just glides through life, my parents taught me better than that. I had also been where I am long enough for them to know my personality, which for those of you who don't know is very laid back and can sometimes be interpreted as someone who doesn't care. So after re-reading the e-mail a couple times and wrapping around my head around the reasoning he/she felt that I didn't care I decided to take a walk to clear my head. On this walk I got to thinking that here was a chance for me to make a choice that is very common in life. I had been knocked down. Whether this was through a miscommunication or a misjudged perception of my personality it really didn't matter now because it was done. So now I had a choice to make.
  • I could either complain and spend my energy on trying to justify to this individual why they were wrong and most likely hold a grudge for some time.
  • Or I could make sure that the same mistake never happened again by putting in 110% and making it clear I not only care but I actually care a great deal.
Needless to say I have decided to pursue option 2 because everyone gets knocked down but it is how you decide to get back up that defines who you are. This does not mean I will have to change my personality and not be laid back anymore, but I will make sure that no one ever makes that mistake again.

No comments: